Total Pageviews

Friday, October 16, 2009

Be happy and Gay

 I was coming back home in the rick the other day from station and I happened to look at the vehicles around. I was stuck in a traffic jam. There was many couples on bikes all around me. There were gal - guy couples, guy - guy couples. It dint really strike me till I saw this one bike where the pillion rider was holding onto the one who was riding so tight, almost like he dint wanna let go till death...or maybe even after dat
The girl doing that is understandable..well she could be his girlfriend...but it is not often that we think that the guy could be the boy friend.
No no, I am not being close minded. It is only then that I realized, how easy it is to be gay...from inside...i mean..still..in the closet kinda thing...and still be enjoying all the things u want to enjoy. And by Gay I mean Lesbian as well. The way people are over here is so very crazy. I have heard guys call each other Sweetheart and gals holding hands like they are in love, guys with hands on each others shoulders and touching each other all the time. It is so damn easy to be gay in the country. And I think, even if u aren't gay, there is a good chance that seeing the number of options in front of u...u might easily consider it...Obviously, its easier to tell mama dearest always that u are going for a sleep over with the same sex than with someone of the opposite sex. Its the whole thought process in us since childhood. Something about being with the same sex makes us feel safe and less threatened. But I really don't agree with this feeling at all. How can u be sure that just because she is of the same sex as u are, she is not hitting on u when she is brushing off that bread crumb off ur blouse?
And with guys, I really don't get how they pee in their stupidly designed bathrooms...its almost like u can check out the next guy's thing and he still might think that there is nothing wrong...while the truth is that, u are Actually checking out his thing...weird huh...
The article 377 being passed and a couple of hindi movies in the market have made being gay a little more joked about these days. Each and every professor of mine has used this reference atleast once so far. 
Its a standing joke....Everybody assuming that there is no gay person anywhere who is actually witnessing the joke. Not only is it insensitive to the gay community but also kind of distasteful , I think.
The fact remains that even today in India, a guy wearing pink clothes can pass of as straight, even after he fondles other guys right in front of u....the fondling thing is more like a touchy feely bonding....I have realised over the years...having been in an almost boys grad school.
I think, in girls it might be easier to make out if people are gay or not. Well, not completely sure about that, but yes, girls are more vocal about things and feelings and dont keep a lot of it inside. So u 'll probably know of ur best Friend is gay...dont worry bout it gal!!
The song which comes to my mind is "I kissed a girl and I liked it" by Katy Perry...Crazy lyrics...

Well...getting back to the topic....It is easy to be gay or lesbian in India and not even know it urself at times I think. Cos u are just doing what u do everyday...nothing is different...the "brotherly" or "sisterly" touch u think might not be that after all.
My advice to everyone here would be that dont let people touch you for no reason and if they do...with how much ever love or affection they do, just ask them on their face if their intentions are good. The person might think twice before doing that again I think. And maybe...if we are lucky, even think about it and reflect. 
This post is not to make people feel uncomfortable about being around each other...but guys come one...its high time we looked at thigns clearly and without so much love in it.....
So everybody be happy and gay....come on..I meant gay in the right sense!! 



4 comments:

  1. Well the whole deal here is that the whole concept of glbt is alien to India. In our culture itself we find that gender is shown as something that is not rigid.

    As far as guys touching guys goes...I wish I could travel in the local without having my personal space intruded. The fact is that right from our childhood we are made to come in close contact with people from our same sex..in our school a bench was shared by 3 guys!!! Because of this we hardly pay any thought it.

    No comments on if being gay in india is easy. I dont know anyone from that community..though i get your point that if two guys are walking hand in hand down the road, they wont really attract much attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly what I wanted to say...Being gay in India is kind of easy..And yes we are brought up that way..probably the reason why we dont pay much attention to it..!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thought provoking at the least. now i totally support whatever our dear darling dehati is up to. i think i'll wear some of his creations, when he comes out with them.

    ReplyDelete