Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

My Girl

'An afternoon full of nothingness', is what I thought this entire thing would turn out to be. Quite the contrary, it turned out to be a nice afternoon with a good movie which makes you 'feel' a lot more than you normally would. The movie I chose to keep me company this afternoon was "My Girl". I wouldn't say that I picked the movie after seeing the credentials of the movie or anything like that. It was pretty much a random pick from the umpteen number of movies that my dad has, if you are wondering..yes, they are all downloaded from the great lan.


Picture source - Google - Official Poster of the movie

The movie revolved around a girl, Vada Sultenfuss (Yes, I know, hard for a little girl with that kind of a name. But she keeps repeating in the movie that she likes her name!) The character is played by Anna Chlumsky, a very cute little girl with huge expressive grey - green eyes. Anyone would melt in front of those eyes, I'm sure.
Vada has an unusual childhood. She is brought up in a funeral home, her dad being an undertaker. Initially, she seems like a very lonely child with just one friend, Thomas J. The character is played by Macaulay Culkin. Both children are adorable and the movie being set in somewhere around 1972, brings out the typical thoughts and lifestyle of the people at that time. From the clothing to the crazy carnivals, everything defined the era which has gone by.
The happiness in bike riding, tree climbing and swinging from one branch to the other, I think must be something amazing which today we really don't experience any more
The movie shows the 11 year old girl's unusual life. A life in a funeral home with the one friend she has. It is kind of sad in many ways, but at the same time it took me back to my childhood.
What I have realised about those years in one's life (age 11 to 14) is that they define a lot of what you become as a person. What kind of environment you are brought up in during that stage in your life I think molds your character. At that age, I remember, I had trees and animals a lot for company as compared to people. Exploring new places and going to the occasional carnival was definitely the high point in my week.
The movie definitely took me back to those days when I enjoyed putting up an exhibition for my family with all the coconut shells that I had collected and reading the Archie comic books secretly(Not that I was not supposed to read Archie, but just that I was supposed to be in bed by 11,there was school to go to the next morning!). I remember reading my favourite book to date called "Tha Amphibian" by an author called Alexander Belayeav. I still haven't been able to get my hands on a copy of the book and a Google Search does not reveal much. But yes, what I do remember is that the book brought me to tears. If ever there was an age I would like to be again, I think it would have to be 11 to 14, not because the memories are great, but because it was the most productive age I had, read and watched a lot in those years!
Back to the movie, I was wondering if they would play the song and yes, they did! They ended the movie with the beautiful song by the Temptations.
I think it would only be fair to end this blog with the lyrics of the song too...So here goes!

I've got sunshine
On a cloudy day.
When it's cold outside,
I've got the month of May.

Well, I guess you'll say
What can make me feel this way?
My girl. (My girl, my girl)
Talkin' 'bout my girl. (My girl)

I've got so much honey
The bees envy me.
I've got a sweeter songThan the birds in the trees.

Well, I guess you'll say
What can make me feel this way?
My girl. (My girl, my girl)
Talkin' 'bout my girl. (My girl)

Ooooh, Hoooo.

Hey, hey, hey.
Hey, hey, hey.

I don't need no money,
Fortune or fame.
I've got all the riches, baby,
One man can claim.

Well, I guess you'll say
What can make me feel this way?
My girl. (My girl, my girl)
Talkin' 'bout my girl. (My girl)

Talkin' bout my girl.
I've got sushine on cloudy day
With my girl.
I've even got the month of MayWith my girl.

For those of you, who would like to listen to the song, here is a you tube link - 

No comments:

Post a Comment