Total Pageviews

Friday, March 16, 2012

The great minds of the nation

This might sound like a very opinionated entry and some might even say that I should wait before jumping to such conclusions. But I am not one who ever cared what society says or does, what I think is right and is the way to go.

So, I was walking around with a pack of biscuits hoping to feed some of the dogs in the campus, atleast the ones who looked hungry and emaciated. Btw, I am at my latest and new workplace, the Indian Institute of Technology where India takes shape or so they say. Getting back to the story, I was walking around and the heat is really bad today. So I am guessing all of them went in hiding.
As I was heading to the management school building where I had spotted one fellow panting heavily and lying down..he looked like he was a little ruffled, probably in a little bit of a fight or something, but not hurt, I spotted a little girl playing in the mud. There is a new building which is coming up right beside this one and there is a lot of cement, dust, gravel, etc lying all over the place. Once earlier, when I was on my way to some place for an exhibition, I noticed that the construction workers were very friendly with the dogs around. One of them was sitting on the side walk and the way he was playing with one of them and the love with which he was petting and patting the fellow really moved me.
So, I spotted the girl and she seemed to be having fun in the mud and sand on which she was. I stopped and I dont know why, I just asked her if she had eaten anything. She said that she hadn't eaten anything as nothing was made at home. Her parents who were working in the building would get money today for the work that they had done and they would all have dinner at night. Having seen these kind of kids and people many times before, I was not brought down to tears or anything, but I definitely felt that I should give her half of the packet of biscuits, which I did. I asked her about the dogs around and she said there weren't any around at that time.
I looked around a bit more and then came back to her and handed her the pack. Interestingly, while I was looking for the animals and talking to the girl there were many people who passed by and I am sure many of them even saw her when I wasn't around. I dont think anybody really cared. Noone stops, I overheard conversations about PhDs and how the world would fall apart if their research failed, but noone seemed to hear the hungry stomach of the little girl.

It saddens me that we are a race who don't care about anything else but ourselves. It hurts to be a part of this obnoxious species. I am pretty certain our definition scientifically should fall under that of a parasite and we should be cited as the best example that science has ever come across. I am sure if we tried hard enough, we could put leeches to shame.

Bottom line -
I am surrounded by the great minds who shape the young minds who come in. I am surrounded by those who shape the nation. I am surrounded by the great minds which actually might even shape other nations. All I can say is, I am glad I am not a great mind.

Also, this is a post to all those who say -
Oh so u work for animals, how about ur own kind. and for those who say, I wish I could do stuff, just can't cos I have so many other things to do!
Dumbfucks, take a step, do something..anything. Just don't sit around and pretend to want to do stuff, just dont wait for the right moment, JUST DO IT.
I hate those who say that they admire what I do and think I have courage. It is nothing extraordinary or not something unavailable - courage, it is a matter of prioritising and making a choice, that is all it is..really .
We just don't want to do it. So don't admire or praise someone just because you cannot get up and do what is required.
In the end remember that you probably have only one life and you really need to be happy at the end of it or whenever you die. And happiness does not come by just wishing that you could do something or saying that oh I wish I could do what u do....Do something, find out in what way you can do something and just do it...

PS - I hope someone reads this!

4 comments:

  1. This is not true. I have fed these children a number of times. The institute as well as our students run various programs for these poor kids around the campus. There are night schools, small teaching sessions for these kids and other poor kids around the campus. There is a regular "abhyasika" in near by Fule slums run only by students purely for altruistic purpose. Stop being so cynical. What we are doing may not be enough but we spend our precious time these things as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I suppose this was just one off kid? I did ask her if she was going to school and she said eyed. So are you telling me that she goes to a school where they don't even offer her a small meal and that is okay? The system is at fault here and if they put her education before her hunger also, I dont think the act can be justified..I m not saying programs aren't running, but they aren't running in the right way even if a single customer is unsatisfied..here the kid

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have nothing to say about the particular kid besides the fact that we do feed her younger sibling many times.

    You argument goes to categorize IIT crowd as "people with property X (great mind in this case), They dont care about cause Y. That is why I am glad I dont have property Y.

    I think you are wrong to say people dont bother about the cause. They do and they are doing many things for such people.

    And even if they really dont care about it then it has got nothing to do with the property X they have. So if you think majority of the people dont care about the cause Y, it is because the overall society shows the same traits as the sample-set you have chosen. (In fact compared to the population outside the campus the in-campus population is much more sensitive to these issues. )

    Now is IIT's system at fault here ? I dont think so. IIT is responsible for it's employees and their dependents and that part is being done well. The kid under consideration is responsibility of the third party contractor and he is supposed to provision for his workers. Ideally IIT should not have even allowed that kid to enter the campus.

    I think every person has a role to play in society. Caring for fellow beings comes naturally to humans but each of us have different roles and in our own way we are making world a better place. Claiming that "this is the thing" we should be doing is counter-productive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not think classifying things into X and Y and giving detailed reasons is the right way to go. The fact that you think that caring for fellow human beings or anything for that matter is a secondary thought itself says a lot about people in general. It is not just the IIT, but the IIT stands for something where the best or supposedly intelligent lot come to study. Society is definitely at fault, the IITs adding to the behavior is not the right thing.
    You are clearly saying that caring for the kid is not the priority here. It is an additional activity you do at your leisure time or whenever you get time off from the precious other things. It is a question of understanding what is actually important and working towards that. If you think writing 10 research papers, a PhD or a marketing job or anything has higher priority than taking care of kids who do not have anyone is more important, all I have to say is that u need to check your priorities.
    The world today is full of people prioritizing anything and everything over the important things because of our selfishness and arrogance. This is exactly what I want to say. If you think there is a problem, fix it. Do not say that the child entering the campus is the problem..the fact that she is hungry is the problem and fix that.

    ReplyDelete