Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

We did not try hard enough ~ RIP Lily

We do things most of the time to suit our need and as per our convenience. Pushing ourselves beyond that is a humongous challenge, for any human being. I think all living things are built this way, to prioritise their needs over anything else. We feel that something does not deserve our attention right now, that it can be done later. I think the art of procrastination originated from here.

Today, I have learnt that all of this is a luxury that comes at a very heavy price. We lost someone today, a very dear little doggie, Lily.
She had gone through so much in her short life, it is hard not to feel bad when u hear her story, even if you think u are super strong. And if you see her, the little thing was so full of hope and love. The last time I saw her, even though she could barely move, when we called her, she wagged her tail.
I feel a very strong sense of guilt and I feel like hitting myself for not having given her fluid on Saturday and sunday. She ate chicken, so I assumed she did not require it. I should have pushed more and made the vets take a blood test and made them do the needful.

Life and death are not things that you normally have control over. They are things which noone really knows the truth about. I do not believe in god but I want to hold on to the logic of karma and hope that is applicable for after life as well. If it is, all the ones who have gone, especially this one, will have a good life ahead. Some suffer needlessly in this world and I do not think there is any way I can justify the suffering. I am afraid to look for the reason because of which they suffer, I rarely ever find one.
This one in particular had a growth on her left leg which got very bad and we were informed about it at a stage when the leg had gone beyond treatment. We tried our hand at treating her and then she was admitted to a hospital nearby because everybody believed her leg would have to be amputated.
The deed was done and she was sent back. She was compromised and found it very hard to fend for herself on three legs. The other dogs did not spare her and she started growing very thin and finally she reached a point where she could barely stand up. This is when we were informed and we started the treatment. It was late but there was still hope.
I feel that we should have checked on her when she was dropped back after the surgery. Maybe things would have been better. So many things could have been different had we put in a little more effort and been more aware of the consequences.
All, I can do now is feel bad, write a blog and hope she has all her legs back and is running around wherever she is.
RIP Lily!

A huge realisation pointing out very clearly that we need to step it up, need to go with much more force into whatever we are doing.
We need a place to call hospital, so we can do surgeries ourselves and do post op care ourselves.
Definitely a reason to go after some much needed infrastructure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment