Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Be Kind Rewind

So this is my last day at home. Tomorrow I will be going back to college and well then its gonna get bad with all the tests and what not. I m not particularly looking forward to it, but well everyone has gotta do something...I guess this is what I gotta do. So being the last day and all, I slept well...actually was working on something late last night...a paper...hopefully will be able to submit it soon...Anyhow..dat made me wake up late..and well..the whole rhythm of the day gone.  So instead of starting work on the paper..I was trying to sleep again...when I noticed a movie starting on HBO...well..my tv is on like 24/7...even when I m sleeping...till I finally wake up in the middle of my sleep and switch it off...
The Movie...Be Kind Rewind....The first time I saw it was on my iPod...I know the screen is small and what not..but I still like it... 
A friend of mine gave it to me since well I did not have any movies at that time...Cos my pod was new...It was the first movie I watched on Jackie...I enjoyed it a lot...
Even today when I watchd it once again, I really liked it...well I ve seen it in bits and pieces in the middle a number of times....but this time I saw it completely...well..almost...I blame the stupid bird fight(I ll prolly write a blog later on the stupidity of Birds).
Now something about the movie. It has this huge jazz influence and it has Jack Black... :)
It is set in a town called Passaic in New Jersey where there is this old guy called Mr. Fletcher who owns a video rental store. Its pretty much shutting down...very few people today watch videos..its mostly DVDs and the like now...and this store is like a blast from the past. In fact there is a part in the movie when Mr. Fletcher actually goes and studies a new age store..and his observations include things like..No variety, No Subject Knowledge, Less movies but more copies, etc...very funny...
Jack Black as usual plays a freaky crazy character...his usual self...So he and his friend Mike, they keep pulling pranks on a lot of public property and well Jack Black Magnetises himself and ends up erasing all the Movies on the tapes...and all this happened when Mr. Fletcher is outta town on a supposedly " Fats Waller's celebration week"...he actually goes to study the new rental stores and to understand what all he has to change in his old store. So the guys at the store have to handle the customers who come in asking for movies. So, they start making movies which are similar to the original and tape them onto the blank tapes and rent them out to people who come for the movies. Even though the recording is really bad and the 2 hour movie is reduced to 20 mins..people still like the stuff they see and keep coming back for more...They start calling their movies "Sweded"...from Sweden...or some shit made up story like that...its very funny when u watch it...especially with Jack Black's crazy moves...
So well, there is a whole deal about the movie store being illegal and the authorities wanting to pull it down if some repairs arent done in the building and hence well they have to raise money. And even after Fletcher comes back, he allows them to continue making the movies and selling them because they need the money to save the building. Well..eventually some other people come and destroy all the tapes calling it plagiarism and illegal as it is taped over the original. They use a road roller to destroy all the tapes while the whole town is protesting and I think I saw Jack Black crying..not too sure though.
Anyhow, it is after this that they decide to make a movie..dedicated to the Jazz Legend Fats Waller..calling it "Fats was Born here". The movie is a huge hit and the last scene shows all the people in the town including the demolition guys and the guy who wanted to tear down the building, watching the screening of the movie on the store's glass window. They receive a huge round of applause and though it is not mentioned clearly, I think the end implies that the store gets saved..which is a happy thought.
The store kinda reminded me of an old book store...hmm..I cant remember the name of the movie..but there is a movie about this bookstore which gets competition from a mall which is opened beside it. A girl runs the book store and she has memories of her family attached to it and all. The important thing  about the place was that the lady at the store and the people with her always helped out the people coming in even if they were undecided and helped them pick out the best book for them by giving them an idea about what they were gonna read..basically giving a personal touch to the whole act. In the end...yes the book store gets saved. 
The video store also had all sorts of classics and the personal touch with Mr. Fletcher giving people an idea about what they were gonna see...a homely atmosphere all in all...
People talk a lot about customer service and understanding the customer and delighting the customer...blah blah...why don't people go back to basics. 
During which part of our life are we loved and taken care of the most?
It is Childhood...when we are really small...Yes people do take care of us even when we are old..but then I think they enjoy taking care of kids more than they enjoy taking care of old people..General tendency I think. And how is it that one takes care of a kid. With the utmost care and by understanding every need of the child...hidden or not...By telling them stories..by entertaining them and what not...
Thats exactly what grown ups like too...The customers...thats what they all like...They love being pampered and told stories and feeling important like a kid....
The customer is a KID...I think thats a good way of going about things... Rest assured u will fulfil any need that ur customer has by perceiving them in this manner.
Well..I just remembered this other awesome movie I saw a few weeks back..And even though it is also about a store and all...and maybe I cud try writing it here...I don't want to... I liked the movie so much that I want to write a separate one on it... :)


No comments:

Post a Comment