Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Chalta Hai

 My Business Design course so far has taught me a lot about thinking differently and looking beyond the obvious. Thinking beyond the obvious is very easy for me...mostly cos I believe that I am from another world...a world of my own..where everything works according to my wish.
How I wish I could rearrange where I am actually living and make it where I want to live. Anyhow, a blog on my world later. This one is supposed to be about Jugaad.
Jugaad literally means "Make Do". In India, people make do with anything and everything. The level of adjustment in people is extremely high. So high that people just don't care about how much they have to adjust and accept it as a part of life and the jugaad hence becomes life.

The jugaad I explained above is actually not what I think it is. I think that the whole hype about Jugaad is a lil too much. I feel it is an adjustment people are forced to make. It is almost like making fun of people in their face...and the extra hype is like pointing at u when ur towel suddenly falls off and you are out there naked.

We say very proudly that Jugaad shows how innovative India is and the potential that the country has. Jugaad is pretty much a live example of the saying, "Necessity is the mother of Invention".

I travel in the local train. I have to sit in the dirty seat and at time hang onto the bar for dear life. I stand with the lady in front of me not even 10 cms away...I am hoping that she isnt a lesbian cos if she was..she could easily make out with me and blame it all on the train and the crowd...
I am not fond of doing it...travelling by the local train. It is something I have to do whether I like it or not. It is a kinda Jugaad if u ask me. For me the entire experience is making a Jugaad in my life. 
Someone's slipper breaking..and then fixing it with a safety pin is again a need to fix it. If the person could throw the slipper and get another one right away, I am sure they would do it rather than fixing it.

I remember asking my room mates what a Jugaad was..Cos I dint even know the meaning a few months back. But now..I think I understand it..
We had an assignment in college where we were asked to observe our surroundings and look for Jugaads...and try and convert them into business options.

Yes, I dont say it is not innovative...but the pride with which people talk about Jugaad seems a little weird to me...I mean given an option..why wud anyone adjust...

So basically it tells us how much our country has to advance in terms of everything, cos Jugaad is there in everything here....
Its kinda time we stop being proud of what we lack in and try to better it.
There was this faculty in my class who studied abroad stating very proudly that in his university people had taken Jugaad as a case study and were trying to study it with great attention and were trying to understand it.
Its kinda shameful that what we are trying to hide so much is coming out in the open....and people are now trying to study about it....
Its time life got better in this country and if nothing...people become sensitive and respect each other...the least they can do...
A huge change in the way people think is necessary to get rid of this whole mentality of Chalta Hai and Jugaad...
If anything has to go anywhere, people have to stop being okay with Chalta hai and not be Chalta Hais too...
Jugaad is a Chalta Hai...and it is time we realise it....






No comments:

Post a Comment